Wednesday, January 28, 2015

One Hour Bread Recipe

I've posted about how I make our own bread before. I really like the recipe I use. It makes fabulous toast, yummy sandwiches, and is beyond delicious straight out of the oven with some honey butter spread on it.

If your looking for a fancy artisan bread, look elsewhere. This bread isn't organic, gluten-free, "all-natural", or low calorie. It is fast and easy and tasty.

Ingredients:

5 1/4 cups white bread flour
2.5 Tbsp sugar
1.75 tsp salt
1.5 Tbsp (rounded) instant yeast
1.5 Tbsp oil
2 cups warm water (between 100-115 degrees Fahrenheit)


First you're going to mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Next you're going to add the oil and warm water. If you store your flour in the freezer, like I do, make sure your water is closer to 115F than 100F. (I've found that if I just run my tap at full hot for a couple minutes it's the perfect temperature. My water heater is set to 120F but the water always measures 115F when I bother checking it.)

Now you're going to mix it. I start with a rubber spatula but always end up using my hands after its about 3/4 of the way incorporated. You're going to want to mix the dough for about 5 minutes or until all the flour is well mixed. The dough will be pretty sticky. 

(I forgot to take a photo of the dough mixed before kneading it. Fail.)

Now your going to turn out the dough on to an oiled kneading surface. DO NOT flour the dough any further at this point. Knead the dough a couple times until it's nice and smooth. Separate it in to two loaves of whatever shape works for you. I make oval loaves because it's easier for slicing and making sandwiches and toast.


Place loaves on an oiled baking sheet or use parchment like I do. Cover with a clean dish towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit while your loaves rise.


 When the 30 minutes is up oil a sharp knife and cut 3 or so 1/4 inch deep slashes in the dough to give it more room to expand during baking.


Bake the loaves at 350F for about 25 minutes or until nicely golden brown.


Cool on a rack so the bottom doesn't get soggy. As soon as it's cool enough to touch I slice a piece off and slather it with honey butter. DELICIOUS!

I hope you enjoy this simple bread as much as we do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment